Monday, July 12, 2010

Action Research

I have to admit when I first glanced at the course syllabus, I went, "Noooooo! It's summer."
But as I did the readings and assignment this week, the clouds lifted and I got a clearer picture of what action research is about. I have learned that action research is a systematic method that uses research and reflection to to address a paricular problem or issue; in our case, an educational issue or problem. It has many benefits and once practiced can become a valuable tool for professional growth and problem solving for administrators and teachers.
According to Harris et. al (2010) and Dana (2009), Action research involves specific steps:
1. Determining a question of inquiry or examining a specfic problem or issue. 2. Analyzing Data gathered on site. 3. Reading literature relevant to the issue to gain a deeper understanding of the issue or problem. 4. Engaging in Self-reflection to determine if one has the skills or can aquire the skills to deal with the issue or problem. 5. Exploring programmatic Patterns to determine the empact of solutions on the environment (the classroom or school). 6. Determining a course of action or set of strategies, including setting up a timeline. 7. Taking action by implementing strategies. 8. Evaluation of the project to either make adjustments or sustain improvement. This stage also involves informing others of the results.
Action research has many benefits. As a classroom teacher, I can use action research to review my instructional methods, to analyze the effectiveness of my teaching or to help a student or group of students who may not be learning effectively by developing a question of inquiry and plan to determine why they are having trouble and what corrective actions I can take to help the. As an administrator I can use action plans for professional growth, to model to my teachers to facilitate my teacher's use of action research, to aid my teachers in soilving instructional problems, and to buid consensus and buy in for school improvement.
Action research may seem daunting at first, but I supose with anything it becomes second nature after the practioner uses it a few times. It can be a vaulable tool for classroom and school wide improvement.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you are own the right track by modeling action research to your teachers and facilitating their use of this tool. The Action Research process would make a great ongoing professional development training opportunity. Not only would the individual teacher benefit but through blogging they could share and receive input from work that has already been done. It could help develop a collaborative learning community and improve student achievement in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete